Monday, July 14, 2014

Josh's Mission July 14, 2014


( from Laurie - I mentioned to Josh that a couple from the Dubuque area had come into Distribution.  She said she had met Josh when he was there)
Yeah I remember the Allreds, I met sister Allred one time she was up in Dubuque, if I rememebr right they are good friends with Kail Chugg's Dad. I really should right him... it really is so amazing how small the world is. It seems like no matter where I go, there is always some one who knows a Broadbent, some where. It is so great to be in a family that the Lord has blessed so much. The elders and I were talking about that to day actually. how sad it is to see families that are affected negatively by the choices of their parents. But on the flip side, it is so great to see the positive effects that the gospel has on people and how it blesses so many people. We never know if the People that we talk to or see or they see us for the good example that we are, are affected by those things. I hope that we are all trying our hardest to be the good examples that Christ would be if He were here.

(Laurie - I told Josh that we had attended the Ogden Pioneer Fireside  and that as I was sitting waiting for the fireside to start I noticed that there was a large area around the choir had been roped off but as the fireside was starting the ushers started changing the boundries - to allow more people in and my thought was I wonder what it will be like when Christ comes - will everyone come, or will those who "are late" not be allowed to be with Him? ) that's a really good thought. I know that Heavenly Father Loves everyone and that in the parable of the 10 virgins that the 5 who were accepted were the ones who weren't prepared, it does make me wonder if the 5 that weren't prepared won't be allowed in at all, or if the Lord will be merciful. There is another parable that is similar that I read recently in "Jesus the Christ" it's about the ruler who had a party for all of his friends.

It's called the Parable of the Great Supper: “A certain man made a great supper, and bade many: And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready. And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come. So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind. And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.”f

Talmage then explains that the invitations for the party had been sent out a long while ahead of time, and that the people knew that they were invited. But because they made excuses they would not be allowed to enter in. Christ also give a couple other parables that I think help to understand this better. the first is called the parable of the lost sheep, the other is the parable of the lost coin, and the last is the parable of the prodigal son. I think that when we read all these together, it's easier to understand how the Lord will be merciful to all those who will accept him and come back, or who need to be found. but in all of them , the Lord expects action on some front. we must choose to come back to him.

This morning I was reading about faith and I was looking up referneces in the Index. I really like in Alma 26 how it talks about the need for us to have faith and repent. Alma says "22 Yea, he that repenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good works, and prayeth continually without ceasing—unto such it is given to know the mysteries of God; yea, unto such it shall be given to reveal things which never have been revealed; yea, and it shall be given unto such to bring thousands of souls to repentance, even as it has been given unto us to bring these our brethren to repentance."

I realized as I was reading that faith is the beginning of everything. Literally, all things are possible with faith. When we come to understand our relationship with Heavenly father, that he is our loving Father and that He knows what is best for us, then we understand that with Him, and if it is his will we will be able to do anything. We well be able to move mountains, even if those mountains are within ourselves.

I think that God does want us to work as hard as we can. We were talking about that quote actually the other day.(Laurie - again, I mentioned to Josh that I had seen this quote and told him what I felt about it) "if God is your co-pilot... Change seats" I think we actually need to be the air plane and allow ourselves to be flown by God, we should be the instrument is His hands. I understand though what you're saying, that we have our agency and God cannot take that away and he wants us to use it as much as we can, but we should use our agency and allow God to guide and hold us.


So on to our investigators, Stacey is still struggling with smoking, but she is struggling with it, so she is trying and that's really great! Isaac is doing really well, he loves learning and it's been really great to see the changes in him. He asked if he should be praying to know if it's true... we said well, yeah :) It was really sweet, the spirit was really strong in that lesson. Mary, our new investigator is doing well. She is a little slower but she loves our visits and we are getting a large print Book of Mormon and Bible for her.

So on Yesterday, we got to go in and sit with the jr primary. It was really great! The little kids are awesome and it's amazing to see the desire they have to learn! i had a thought, it's important, like Christ said, to become Child like, but we shouldn't become childish.

I love you!! thank you so much for your prayers, love and support!


Kajoor ilo Christ
ij iokwe eok!!
Elder Broadbent

No comments:

Post a Comment