Monday, November 4, 2013

Josh's Mission Nov 4 2013

It's been a really good week. That's awesome to hear about the scout activity. and that is so awesome that dad invited people from different churches. The relief society activity sounds like it went great as well. I told Elder Dragon that dad was a cook, so he asked me if I cooked, I said that I liked to. I tried to make an Asian dish, with pasta, chicken, and veggies, but it didn't turn out so well. I put too much garlic salt in it, and so to try and calm it down, I tried putting peanut butter in it, trying to go for a sort of Tia style, but it didn't work....

I just want to say that I love going to church. I love that it's a place that is completely away from the things of the world. there are so many distractions in the world and church is a great place to get away from that. We have a problem here with retention of members and so I just appreciate it so much. If we could understand the importance of church, we would never consider missing it. We would look forward to it and go through our week thinking about the Savior and what He did for us, how we need to improve, and what He wants us to do. Yesterday we had a lesson with a less active that hasn't been to church in a while. When he was going to church he baptized a bunch of his friends and helped so many people. But then he started working and got busy and lost sight of the important things. As we talked he told us that he knows that he needs to go to church and that he can see how happy he was and that he wants to feel that happiness all the time. He really wants to change, and I hope and pray that he does. 
 
Elder Dragon and I were talking the other day about how great Utah is. He is from Farmington, not sure if I told you that. We were talking about how there are so many people there that are LDS and that even those who aren't, for the most part, act like they are. There are just good people there. So then I got thinking about something that Brother Brandley used to say all the time, that is "do your neighbors and friends know that you are Mormon? if not, tell them."Does everyone know that you are LDS, if not, will you tell them? One thing that our Bishop has been working with the ward members on, is to use LDS terms and words in our everyday lives. When people hear us talking about hometeaching, the sacrament, going to church, or using any words that they are unfamiliar with, the ask questions. It's a great way to start conversations. Will you do that? will you let people know that you are LDS, by your example and conversation?

So Tom is struggling. He has been having a lot of back pain. He was hurt while in the military and has a lot of pain. His parents, who live near by him are really struggling as well. His dad has Alzheimer's and is having a really hard time. His mom has kidney stones and has been in the hospital for the past week. He still is struggling with the concept of God and praying. Although he did pray with us, which was so awesome! We explained to him the pattern of prayer and why it is important that we address our Heavenly Father and close in Christ's name. Have you ever thought about that? he asked who we are praying to if we say it in christ's name. We pray to our Heavenly Father in Christ's name, because it is only through christ that we can make it back to our Heavenly Father. It is only through Christ that we can receive answers to our prayers. Thank you so much for praying for him, I really appreciate it. really you don't know how much that means to me. oh, and we set a date with tom, I don't know if I told you that. He was really hesitant to accept it, but I know that he can receive his answer.

We also met with a lady named Lauren. She was a media referral. and she is so awesome! she really wants to know what our church is all about. She wants to know why LDS people are so happy. Why are we so happy? what is it that makes us happy? She has so much desire to find out for herself. She is really busy though, so that will be our biggest hold up with her. We told her the Joseph Smith story and said, yeah, I believe that could happen. She accepted the invitation to be baptized and said that if she got an answer she would do anything for it.  

I love this gospel so much! I love how the Lord works. I love that He knows us perfectly and if we do all that we can, seriously do everything that we can do, then we will bless us and make up the rest. I know that this Gospel is true. I love the people here so much and I want them to feel of the joy that comes from the knowledge that our Savior suffered, died, and was resurrected, for us! 

I love you all! Tomak eo Kojparok (Keep the Faith, in Marshallese)

Elder Broadbent   

Some pictures finally!
MTC district Oct 2013

Elder B with MTC companion Elder Harper
 In Dubueque, Iowa
Trainer Elder Dragon
District Oct 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment